The PALACE LUZERN – which celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2006 – is one of
Switzerland's legendary luxury hotels. It is located on the scenic shores of Lake Lucerne in the
very heart of the country, surrounded by idyllic Alpine landscape. Yet it is only a leisurely stroll
from an enchanting city centre steeped in centuries of history.
The late 19th century was the golden age of tourism in Switzerland. Foreign travellers were
beginning to discover the delights of its many scenic splendours and cities. And Lucerne was
one of the destinations enjoying particular popularity – thanks largely to the enterprise of Franz-
Josef Bucher-Durrer (1834-1906). Although born into a farming family and described by his
own mother as "too lazy to work", he went on to amass a fortune of 14 million Swiss francs and
created an empire which at one time included 10 luxury hotels and six mountain railways.
His hotels included not only the "Palace" in Lugano and the "Bürgenstock", but also prestigious
properties outside Switzerland – the "Quirinale" in Rome, the "Palace" in Milan and the
"Semiramis" in Cairo.
In 1903 Bucher-Durrer purchased a plot of land at the end of the National Quay in Lucerne for
nearly 900,000 Swiss francs – a phenomenal figure at that time. The actual construction of the
PALACE LUZERN cost a further 4 million Swiss francs and the hotel opened for business on 7
May 1906. The property offered a level of luxury and extravagance unrivalled at that time.
For example, all rooms and apartments overlooking the lake and facing east had their own
The First World War (1914-1918) forced the closure of the PALACE LUZERN for several years,
and during the Second World War (1939-1945) the hotel was used as a military hospital and
also as a storage centre for essential provisions. It re-opened in 1946 after complete renovation,
and hardly a year has passed since without millions being invested in modernization projects.
In 1997 the property was taken over by the VICTORIA-JUNGFRAU Grand Hotel & Spa in
Interlaken, the acquisition following years of close co-operation between the two luxury hotels.
Attractions at the PALACE LUZERN include its distinctive design, décor and architecture; fine
facilities for banquets, meetings and seminars; and two outstanding restaurants – "Les Artistes"
and the "Jasper". The spectacular PALACE SPA was inaugurated in 2005. The same year saw the
number of rooms and suites reduced from 168 to 136 as part of a concept to create more
Over one hundred years after opening its distinguished doors, the PALACE LUZERN continues
to radiate an irresistible charm. And to offer the ultimate in lifestyle luxury for rest and
relaxation. The hotel has always been mindful of tradition – while moving with the times.
Director of Communications
Tel. +41 (0)44 259 82 26
It will be our pleasure to provide you with high resolution pictures. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org